Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Darkening of the Light



This is a scan of, what was, a very hopeful I'ching reading. It didn't seem to work out, but I'm still very interested in the use of these devices; I don't think they have any supernatural properties, but they have the use of advocating a perspective that you might not have access to otherwise. People ask one another for advice, or alternate interpretations of a situation, all the time, but, unless you're bumping elbows with Confucius, what are the chances of getting a wiser, more timeless perspective? I usually throw the coins for the novelty, but I'd be just as satisfied with a random flutter of the pages to find my fortune.

Specifically with Ming I, the advice was a sort of quiet perseverance. The image is of the superior man, who finds himself surrounded by a darkness with which he cannot compete, is to conceal his remaining light and wait for dawn. As advice goes, that's as good as anyone can hope for, and it didn't make any empty promises like the cookies.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Have you read "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick?

objunc said...

i'd never heard of it, but i wikied it. plot development aided by the i'ching sounds awesome, i will locate a copy right away!