Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I don't know, but I will in a while.


The owls in this image have been with me for close to two years, patiently waiting on a hard drive for their eventual day in the light. The owls are part of a friends collection, and only represent a small fraction of what she has. Although I've become intensely suspect of all things charming or kitschy in recent months, I can still appreciate these owls.

I only chose to include them in this composition as a snap judgment and because they were convenient, but that's the point. Part of the goal of objuncs is that they remain open for interpretations. I'm interested in those snap judgment decisions as a physical result of my subconscious at work. There's a pre-intellectual process that's always in action, always filtering the massive amount of static stimulus in the world from whatever it is you're actually looking for, or should be.

After printing out those patient owls, for whatever reason, it reminded me of Shen Zhou's Poet On A Mountaintop, which I included in a more graphic version. And, so there it is: patience is wisdom, and that's where Zen comes from.

No comments: