Friday, August 8, 2008

Ftr Cty



i write now as like the computer that within the pocket does the translate of text that is original a language is not of present

Summer school is over and I've been awarded my high marks for an indifferent performance, thanks State U! I think most people go to school for the grades and the degree, but I'm really there for the motivation the instructors are supposed to provide to work hard. Other majors get to look forward to a life of overbearing bosses to keep them busy, but as an artist, everything is self paced. If I can't develop those skills now, I never will.

The Digital Photo class lead me to learn about Dan Eldon, whose own art journal was an influence on this, so that was valuable. My second class was academically shameful, but I couldn't resist it: Film/Media Studies 394, History of Anime. I couldn't believe it either.

My first semester at ASU I worked in the study lab for the athletics department. Turns out that most of ASU's student athletes earn their humanities credits by taking a Hip Hop Music Studies class, so much of my generation-shame developed in that computer lab. Not because of the class, I can recognize the value of popular culture studies, but because these fuckers had to cheat. There's also a survey of American Pop Music class that's especially popular with student athletes. My favorite quote from that semester, "Are the Beatles the same as the B-52's?"

Truthfully the anime class was pretty informative. I learned about Satoshi Kon, who does really great work, and some of the other movers and shakers. I knew before going into it that anime wasn't the same as cartoons, but I didn't realize that it could be more than just entertaining. It's especially compelling to note that much of the apocalyptic/sci-fi genre is directly influenced by Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings; considering that those are the only instances of nuclear warfare, the Japanese have the purest understanding of the repercussions. For instance, Barefoot Gen, the original manga was written by Keiji Nakazawa, a survivor of Hiroshima.


No comments: